Thursday, July 4, 2019

The Soul of Sabbath



My grandparents lived in the L.A. San Fernando Valley. During their final years, I made several trips from the United States East Coast to visit with them. During one of those trips I found Sabbath hospitality about a mile or so away from their home. Not being allowed to drive on the Sabbath, I took a long walk that Sabbath afternoon to see them. I didn't mind the walk. The weather was pleasant and the sites were interesting. 

Upon arrival at my grandparents' home, I was greeted by a young woman visiting from Lithuania, the daughter of one of the household aids. She was studying to be an attorney and was spending time with her mother during school break. She expressed surprise that I had just taken such a long walk, when I could have simply driven. Knowing that she's an "attorney in training" and values law, I shared with her the following. 

The laws of a country do not merely restrict their citizens; they also create a structure which allows for a particular atmosphere - one where a person can viscerally experience the country's ideals, values, culture, beliefs, etc. Successful laws end up creating a particular "feel on the streets", a vessel alive with a society’s spirit. Similarly, the restrictions of the Sabbath are not merely a set of "do not does". Rather, they are structural devices which allow for an atmosphere of peace, tranquility, holiness and contact with the divine. By these restrictions a "body" is formed which allows in a particular kind of soul of holiness, one which is alive and pulsates within the hearts of the Sabbath observant.

The concept resonated well with her and she smiled with appreciation.

Later on, it dawned on me that this concept does not only apply to the Sabbath, but to all of the "do not does" of the Torah. They are structural devices which allow in particular spiritual lights, affording them entry into our lives. 

-----------------O------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment