Thursday, June 18, 2015

Dream Exposure


Sabbath morning for my first time in years, I held a prayer book artistically written in Torah scroll font. The experience was so powerful that I realized for the very first time in my life that I was holding in the form of a prayer book a written account of the core dreams of my people, the Jewish people; as essentially most prayer is about exposing dreams.

So what do my people collectively dream about? From the message of the liturgy, it appears like we dream for an ideal version of a certain kind of relationship with God.

Then I sought to identify my own personal core dreams. But no immediate answer that I could be certain of arose. So I thought to myself, "Don't worry. In the meanwhile immerse yourself in communal prayer, in the collective dream. As sure as a dollar is comprised of one hundred pennies, so too embedded inside a people's collective dream are all the individual dreams. That's why communal prayer, with it's set liturgy, can become like a nurturing womb which eventually gives birth your personal dreams. Just be patient with the process. Eventually, your own core dreams will emerge."

No comments:

Post a Comment